So many students remark that they don’t know how to draw and are really intimidated by it. I was recently at a show where the judge remarked that only 3 out of 10 artists know how to draw. So what do we do? Certainly, you can learn how to draw but there is a lot of value in tracing your image so you can create without being paralyzed by the fear of drawing.
What are the benefits of tracing?
- It will improve your drawing skills
- It will improve your ability to observe values
- It will give you the time to explore and observe your reference photo.
- My mantra is “paint what you see know what you know” Lisa comments about this at 2:44 in the video on the next page
- The trace is not the final product.
- Tracing saves a lot of time