I used a small compressor as a substitute for canned air. I found that the cans were getting pretty expensive and a small compressor is a one time purchase.
Here’s a video showing the technique. It’s certainly not a finished painting but will give you some ideas to try. Take this technique and see what you can do with it. Perhaps for underwater images, hair, just texture in an abstract. What ideas do you have?
Here’s some pointers:
- Use inks with a lot of alcohol if you want them to really move.
- Hold the compressor nozzle low.
- Move your hand/arm in the direction you want ink to flow.
- Pulse the compressor to get little “fingers”
- The compressor dries as it blows
- Look for places where the ink is not dry and blow some more.
Here’s my compressor. It’s a Master Airbrush and is very light and reliable. Cost is around $80.
Let me know if you try this technique
Just a reminder. The purpose of these tutorials is to teach new techniques that you can make your own.